Preventing Small Business Claimsby A. Montalbano on 08/23/15
It is peace of mind to have coverage for your small business so when the major mishaps occur, you have protection. But as a policyholder, you must do your part to prevent claims. AGIS has outlined the top 5 business claims and what to do to prevent a loss and rising rates.
1. Burglary/theft: 20% of claims derived from burglary/theft. Ways to prevent this type of loss are installing cameras, an alarm. These type of systems can also lower your insurance rates. Lessen the number of personnel who has access to codes, passwords, and keys to the business.
2. Water and Freezing Damage: 15% of claims derived from cold weather or water hazards. Maintenance even on rented space can be done with little cost and simple steps.
3. Wind and Hail Damage: 15% of these claims occur during storms but there are ways to prevent excess damage.
4. Fire: 10% of claims happen due to fire. Ways to prevent fires on your premises is crucial especially if a restaurant or food truck.
5. Customer Slip/Fall and other liabilities: 10% of these claims are preventable. It starts with safety on the sales floor.